America's Oldest Exclusive Subaru Retailer
Subaru of America is dedicated to becoming one with the environment, which is why they have partnered up with other earth-friendly organizations that are dedicated to preserving our planet. From creating highly fuel efficient and green PZEV vehicles to an entire wildlife habitat in the backyard of the Subaru of Indiana Automotive Manufacturing Plant, Subaru of America is sharing the Love that makes a Subaru vehicle, a Subaru. Search Nate Wade Subaru's Salt Lake City New Car Inventory for PZEV vehicles as well as our Pre-Owned Inventory for PZEV and LEVII cars & SUV's.
"Zero Landfill" Automotive Production Facility
The Subaru of Indiana Automotive Manufacturing Plant (SIA) currently produces less waste than a single family household each month. In fact, on May 4th, 2004 SIA became the first U.S. Manufacturing Facility to reach zero landfill status. The entire Subaru manufacturing plant in Lafayette, Indiana successfully recycles 99.3% of its excess/leftover steel, plastic, wood, paper, glass, and other materials. The remaining 0.7% is shipped to the city of Indianapolis and incinerated in a waste-to-electricity power plant.
SIA's Commitment to Recycling
Recycling is not the initial goal. Recycling requires energy, fuel, and manpower. By first reducing, SIA not only saves time and money, but they also decrease the dependence on fuel to transport our recyclables to companies that can use their waste products. Less transportation of waste means fewer greenhouse gases emitted by vehicles. Since 2000, SIA has reduced the amount of waste per vehicle produced by 46%.
If they can reuse something that would normally be recycled, they will reuse it. As an example, Styrofoam and plastic carriers that suspend and protect camshafts during shipment are reused. SIA's goal is to reuse their camshaft carriers a minimum of five times before recycling them. After the camshaft is fitted on to one of our horizontally opposed 4-cylinder engines, they place the camshaft carrier, along with other forms of packaging on trailers that are returned to suppliers. Metal crates, plastic tubs, Styrofoam and plastics from throughout SIA's manufacturing facility are all returned to various suppliers. In 2008, SIA's Engine Shop alone returned 2,122 tons of reusable packaging to vendors and suppliers.
In 2010, SIA recycled 25,164 tons of scrap metal, 1,378 tons of cardboard and paper and 75 tons of wood this equals:
Check out the article from USA Today, the video from P. Allen Smith, as well as a great article from Lou Ann Hammond to see what Subaru is doing in the way of clean burning vehicles and a "Zero Landfill" manufacturing plant, to help preserve our planet for the generations to come.
Subaru of America is currently producing SmartWayTM vehicles to keep car and SUV emissions as low as possible. Subaru offers Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) certified Legacy, Outback, and Forester models that are available for sale anywhere in the U.S., including Nate Wade Subaru in Salt Lake City, UT. According to the EPA, Outback, Forester, and Legacy are among the cleanest and most fuel-efficient vehicles available in the U.S. based on air pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and overall fuel economy. By creating 90% cleaner emissions than the average new vehicle, PZEV Subaru vehicles sometimes have even lower emissions than hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles.